Case Study: Beautifully Simple

The client needed some graphics to be added to a report, which could explain the end-to-end flow of their software, in an exciting and visually appealing fashion.

The client's tech does some amazing magic with numbers, making it easy for data analysts to explore data and produce beautiful reports. Most of the competition produced reams of reams of complex, dull text and uninspiring graphics. We chose to keep the visuals simple to reflect the beautifully crafted software, and ease of use of our solution.

Case Study: 梦幻足球 Fantasy Football With Added Gobbiness

I'm English, however I studied Mandarin for several years, working in East Asia as an interpreter, market researcher and field salesperson, so it was fantastic to be involved with this assignment.

The client had developed an innovative fantasy football app for the Premier League and wanted to capture registrations from Chinese speakers. I translated their marketing copy into Simplified and Traditional Chinese. The purpose was to help with the app launch on iTunes and Google Play.

In all seriousness, this assigment was the Special One! The unique value of this fantasy football management app is that it brings the vernacular of match-day banter to life. It was essential to capture the vernacular of football in the translated copy, so that people would realise that this app was exciting in a way that incumbent apps lacked.

From a personal point of view, I never understood the appeal of football, until I started using this app. It's brought the game alive for me.

I continue to help this client with SEO services, whenever I can, to help them to reach Chinese audiences on Asian social networks and search engines. They may not be familiar names to Westerners, but familiar names like Google and Facebook don't really figure among Chinese netizens, even Chinese ex-pats. Search engines like 百度 Baidu, 好搜 HaoSou, 搜狗 SouGou, 微博 Sina Weibo, 人人 RenRen, WeChat, QQ空间 QZone are the how the majority of Chinese use the Internet.

Case Study: Teaching Web Development

Military spouses have a tough time finding work. Being moved from place to place, they need to find new work regularly to support themselves and often their children. Sometimes they will find themselves discriminated against, when employers are concerned about taking on someone, who might need to move away at short notice.

In 2014, together with the help of a recruitment agency set up by military spouses for military spouses, we set about to change that, by creating a pilot course for 100 spouses.

Many spouses are unaware of the potential opportunities in new media industries. The featured video is the very first week of our first pilot course, incorporating instructor-led and self-paced online training. The course could be described as 'zero to hero', designed to appeal to people who had no prior knowledge about the range of careers available in the creative, technology and digital marketing domains.

Our curriculum specifically covered web development, social media marketing and ethical hacking. Over a seven week duration, the delegates gained an overview of the industry they were entering, including a detailed understanding of the daily workflow. They acquired hands-on skills by following exercises designed personally for their circumstances and experience. Finally, we coached them through marketing themselves and gaining employability.

Interestingly, of the three topics covered, web development was the most popular, perhaps because of the creative aspects of the role. I was delighted to hear about our first job placement which happened just two weeks into the programme: the delegate had landed a dream job, and was absolutely brimming with excitement.

I am still actively developing training courses, and able to deliver, produce or license them to interested parties.

Case Study: UX/UI Redesign of SaaS Web Application

The client already had a UI and a fully-featured application. An exciting application that helps data analysts automate their daily grunt work. The legacy UI was a little confusing in places and inconsistent.

The client had conducted focus groups with end users, and documented the feedback thoroughly. There were a number of issues to resolve, and what made the assignment particularly engaging was that different user types had very different priorities and needs. They ranged from business managers, to quants analysts.

Working iteratively: I created personas in order to highlight the different needs of the various users; I created hundreds of conceptual wireframes which I then classified into different themes, epics and user stories. Wireframes were reviewed with the business analysts and developers. Feedback was incorporated, ideas emerged and designs evolved.